Sunday 30 April 2017

1 Mile of Pain and Determination

Friday night was the first of the Cardiff Summer Series races. For those of you who don't know what this involves, it's 4 races during April - July and start off with 1 mile then the next race is 2 miles then 3 miles and then 4 miles. These races are very fast and the elite tend to run them so I've always avoided doing it as I don't think I'm quick enough to take part.

This year I decided to kick self-doubt out of my head and try it. I told myself that coming last was inevitable but that's only if I'm competing with other people instead of competing with myself.

I was full of nerves when we arrived and wanted to run in the other direction when we all walked to the start line. I kept telling myself it was just a mile then it would be done and I could go to the pub with my Pegs family.

Team huddle and trying to stay warm

8 Pegs... 1 Mile...

#PegsBums

I wanted to do a sub 9 minute mile and thought that would be touch and go as I've hardly done any speed work since coming back from injury. As I ran I kept telling myself to just hold on, to just keep going and ignore everyone around me. This was my race and I was doing it to challenge myself, I wanted to see what I was capable of.

It hurt. It hurt a lot and I couldn't even get the breath to thank the marshals who cheered us on and made sure we ran in the right direction. So, thank you marshals!

We couldn't race without you!

As I approached the last few hundred metres I could see (and hear!) my Pegs family cheering me on and then someone from another club overtook me. Usually I wouldn't be bothered but my brain just said "NO!" so I pulled out everything I had and chased her down. I could feel my legs giving way and I just willed them to keep me upright and running forward as quickly as possible, I honestly don't know how I did such a strong sprint finish when I was burning with pain.

Side by side...

Overtaken...

Determination AKA sheer bloody stubbornness...

Side by side again...

Somehow I managed to get past her...

The relief at entering the finish funnel

As I went past her I heard her say something but it didn't register what, I could barely hear anything above my gasping for breathe. She finished within a second of me and straight away apologised for swearing at me which really made me laugh. My reply was "fuck, that hurt!" We are now friends on Facebook.

So it turned out that I finished 107 out of 119 runners which I am bloody proud of. My Garmin time was 8:25 but the official gun time was 8:28. I wanted a sub 9 min/mile and managed to pull off a sub 8:30 min/mile!


I woke up on Saturday morning aching as though I'd run a lot further but I never run that fast usually so I pushed my body harder than normal. I forgot to foam roll when I got in so that won't have done me any favours. It's a nice ache though, it's the 'I worked my butt off' kind of ache that I enjoy.

Friday night taught me to stop doubting myself as much, to push myself and just see what happens. I will always have self-doubt but I'm happy with that as long as it doesn't prevent me from challenging myself and pushing myself out of my comfort zone. I'm looking forward to the next 2 mile race in a couple of weeks or at least that's what I'm telling myself anyway!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.