Friday 7 November 2014

Why I Started Running

I decided to start running as I wanted to do some form of exercise that I could do without having to be restricted to a specific class or go to the gym. I was also broke so needed something free.

My first run was hard but awesome at the same time. The only problem was that I had a lot of pain in my knees and a friend said it was probably because I was wearing trainers that were over 10 years old and well worn. I needed new running shoes so I went to Moti in Cardiff to be fitted properly using their gait analysis system thingy. This involved trying on running shoes and running on their treadmill while they filmed my legs to make sure the shoes supported me correctly.  

I don't spend this much time trying on heels!

After trying on 1 or 2 pairs, these bad boys were the winners!

Apparently I have skinny feet!

I started using a fantastic app called Couch to 5K on my iPhone. It gets you from walking to running 5K within 8 weeks and I never thought I would achieve it. I assumed it would be another thing that I started and gave up because it was too hard or didn't make me happy. I've been running for about 3-4 months now and really enjoy it!

I wish I looked this good running!

It was summer time when I started running so getting up and going for a run before work at 6am was a pleasure but now it's dark and mostly wet as I live in Wales. I kept making excuses to miss it and in the end I have done something that I said I would never do again... I have joined a gym. Well at £17.95pm with no contract and no joining fee, I couldn't really say no.

Go #TeamDW

I'm actually really enjoying my treadmill sessions! I know! I think I must be going crazy. As a new member I get a free session with a personal trainer and have been contacted by one offering to set up a date to do it. So far I haven't replied. I'm pretty sure it's all linked to the lack of self-esteem but I keep avoiding replying to him. "I'll do it tomorrow" is what I keep telling myself.

I know the PT session would be really beneficial. I will be able to pick his brain on how to train for races and what strength workouts I need to focus on etc but something in my head is stopping me.  Maybe I'll do it tomorrow...

#PushingBackHarder

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.